Cumbria Stop Smoking Campaign ~ Free Gym Passes
Every December 31st, many of us promise that we will eat healthier, be more active, lose weight or quit smoking. And all too often those bad habits have crept back into our lives by February. It can be hard to do it alone, so this year gets some help to keep you on track. You could get the whole family eating healthier, ask friends to go to an exercise class with you or contact the Stop Smoking Service for support to quit.
If you quit in the New Year you can also get a free 4 week gym pass for the Healthy Lifestyle Fitness Centre in Carlisle, Penrith Leisure Centre or Whitehaven Sports Centre. Don’t make another resolution you can’t keep – we can help you make 2014 the year you finally stick to it! Refer online at www.cumbriastopsmoking.nhs.uk, text 'QUIT' to 82540 or call 01900 324222.
It can be hard to quit, but did you know you are 4 times more likely to stop smoking with help and support from the NHS?
There are more ways than ever to quit. You can meet with a stop smoking advisor face to face or speak to them over the phone - whatever is best for you. Advisors can help you to access products to help with nicotine addiction, which can make it easier to give up smoking.
How to get support
Contact us today for free and confidential advice and support.
- Click to Quit with our online referral form
- Text QUIT to 82540
- Call us on 01900 324 222
- Visit your local pharmacy (see below)
If you have a client who would like help to stop smoking, complete the online referral form.
Why stop smoking?
There are many health and other benefits associated with stopping smoking - not only for you, but for your family.
- You will reduce your risk of developing cancer, heart or lung disease.
- You will reduce the chances of your children suffering from bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma attacks, meningitis and ear infections (all caused by second hand smoke)
- You will improve your fertility levels and your chance of a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- You will not reduce your oxygen levels with carbon monoxide
- You will improve your breathing and general fitness.
- You will save money - as much as several hundred pounds a month, if you're a heavy smoker.
- You will no longer smell of stale tobacco and the appearance of your skin and teeth will improve.
- You may feel more confident in social situations - you won't be worrying about the second hand smoke you create or miss out on anything by having to go outside to smoke.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to quit, the NHS Stop Smoking Service can give you free and confidential support to help you stay smoke free for good.
You can come back into the service as many times as you want. It is a process of quitting and relapse and relapse is part of stopping. It is never too late to quit.
"It worked for me!"
Lots of people have successfully quit smoking after using the service. Click here to read their success stories!
Local pharmacies offering support
- Carlisle - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
- South Lakeland - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
- Furness - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
- Eden - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
- Copeland - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
- Allerdale - Pharmacies providing stop smoking advice, call or drop in to ask for information
4000 Chemicals Campaign
Many of these chemicals are found in dangerous substances like embalming fluid, jet fuel, bleach, and rat poison.
No Smoking Day Webchat - Wednesday 13th March
The webchat with our Stop Smoking Advisor Terry Laing and Digital Communications Officer Kath Norman took place on Wednesday 12th March at Kendal College. Click Here to replay the Webchat